i don’t fell i need a stated payee, i went to become my own or make my bother my payee

Q) i don’t fell i need a stated payee and i went to become my own or make my bother my payee

A) If you are currently receiving Social Security benefits and have been assigned a representative payee, but you believe that you no longer need one or would like to change your payee to someone else, you can contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to request a change.

To become your own payee, you will need to demonstrate to the SSA that you are capable of managing your own funds and meeting your basic needs such as food, shelter, and medical care. This may involve providing medical documentation or other evidence to support your request.

If you would like to designate someone else as your payee, such as your brother, you will need to provide the SSA with that person’s information and they will need to agree to take on the responsibilities of being your payee. The SSA will also need to conduct an investigation to ensure that the proposed payee is suitable to manage your benefits on your behalf.

To initiate a change in your payee, you can contact your local SSA office or call the SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. They can provide you with more information about the process and the documentation that may be required.

According to the Social Security Administration – You have the right to receive your own Social Security check unless SSA believes you are not capable of managing or directing the management of your money.

If you have a representative payee because of a physical or a mental disability, in order to become your own payee, you must show SSA that you are now mentally and physically able to handle your money yourself. You could provide:

A doctor’s statement that there has been a change in your condition and that the doctor believes you are able to care for yourself; or
An official copy of a court order saying that the court believes that you can take care of yourself; or
Other evidence that shows your ability to take care of yourself.
Note: If SSA believes your condition has improved to the point that you no longer need a payee, we may reevaluate your eligibility for disability payments.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *