How do I change my direct deposit to another bank from the one I have now?

A) You can change your direct deposit information for Social Security benefits by visiting the Social Security Administration (SSA) website and creating or logging into your mySocialSecurity account. Once you are logged in, you can go to the “My Profile” tab and select “Direct Deposit” to update your banking information.

Alternatively, you can call the SSA’s toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 and follow the prompts to speak with a representative. The representative will be able to help you update your direct deposit information over the phone.

You can also visit your local Social Security office and speak with a representative in person to update your direct deposit information.

It is important to have your new bank’s routing number and your account number on hand when updating your direct deposit information. You should also allow sufficient time for the change to take effect, as it may take a few weeks for the new information to be processed and for your benefits to be deposited into your new account.

According to the Social Security Administration – You can start, change or cancel your direct deposit by:

Using Social Security Direct Deposit(Only retirement, disability, or survivors benefits recipients may use this option); or

Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or
Visiting or calling your local office.
You can also call or visit your financial institution to change or enroll in direct deposit.

You can also enroll in direct deposit by calling the U.S. Department of Treasury at 1-800-333-1795.

If you live outside the United States, refer to Payments Outside the United States.

Note: When you apply for Social Security or Supplemental Security Income, you are required to receive your payments electronically. If you did not sign up for electronic payments when you applied for benefits, we suggest you do so now.

You must switch to electronic payments by March 1, 2013. If you did not select a form of electronic payment by March 1, 2013, we will continue to pay you by check, but Treasury will contact you about complying with the requirement.

For more information regarding direct deposit, refer to the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Go Direct website.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *