You can create an account if you are at least 18 years old and have a:
• Valid E-mail address;
• Social Security number; and
• U.S. mailing address (includes military addresses, APO/FPO/DPO AE, AP or AA).
You may create an account only for yourself. You may not set up an account for another person, even if you have his or her written consent. This also applies to an appointed representative or someone who has business with that person.
Unauthorized use of this service is a misrepresentation of your identity to the federal government and could subject you to criminal or civil penalties, or both.
You may be unable or unwilling to create an online account if you:
• Blocked electronic access to your personal information with us;
• Recently moved or changed your name;
• Placed a freeze on your credit report;
• Have been the victim of domestic violence or identity theft; or
• Are uncomfortable with or unable to use the online process for some other reason.
In these cases, you still may create an account in person by visiting your local SocialSecurity office.