I recently got divorced , do I need to wait the 90 days to change name.

Q) I recently got divorced and was granted a name change, I was wondering do I need to wait the 90 days till final to change or can I start now since I have the paperwork from the court?

A) According to Social Security Administration: If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

To get a corrected Social Security card, you will need to:

Show the required documents. You will need proof of your identity. Sometimes you also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status. See Learn What Documents You Need for more information. Under the heading, “Type of Card,” select “Corrected” for a list of the documents you need;
Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.
For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *