Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

If I start receiving benefits at 65 yrs would I still be able to work?

Q) If I started receiving benefits at 65 yrs. of age would I still be able to work my 45 hrs. job that at full retirement age of 66 yrs. of age would I be drawing my full amount at my retirement age?

A) According to the Social Security Administration – You can get Social Security retirement
or survivors benefits and work at the same time. But, if you’re younger than full retirement age, and earn more than certain amounts, your benefits will be reduced. The amount that your benefits are reduced, however, isn’t truly lost. Your benefit will increase at your full retirement age to account for benefits withheld due to earlier

If you were born January 2, 1957, through January 1, 1958, then your full retirement age for retirement insurance benefits is 66 and 6 months. If you work,and are full retirement age or older, you may keep all of your benefits, no matter how much you earn. If you’re younger than full retirement age, there is a limit to how much you can earn and still receive full Social Security benefits. If you’re younger than full retirement age during all of 2019,
we must deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earn above $17,640. Source:

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

4 Responses to I have been on permanent disability since i was 48 years old, now….

  1. can you stay working at the same job and still collect your social security???

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming