Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

Mother died, She was my brother’s guardian, his Social Security check not come in?

Q) My mother died in November, She was my brothers Guardian his Social Security Insurance check did not come in. What do we do how do we fix this?

A) You should contact the SSA office nearest you to apply to be a payee. You must then submit an application, form SSA-11 (Request to be selected as payee) and documents to prove your identity. You will need to provide your social security number or if you represent an organization, the organization’s employer identification number. SSA requires you to complete the payee application in a face-to-face interview (with certain exceptions).

Social Security Administration will select a new representative payee if the current payee:

Has misused the beneficiary’s benefits as determined by SSA or a court of competent jurisdiction;
Is unable to manage the benefit payments;
No longer wishes to serve as payee;
Fails to use and account for the payments properly;
Is no longer responsible for the care or welfare of the beneficiary; or
Is otherwise no longer suitable to serve as payee.

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

7 Responses to I am disabled, received benefits when my father died, My mother died……….

  1. i turn 65 in september.i plan on working untill feb.2022.when should i call in to turn on my security benefits on jan. 1 2022.

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming