Can Social Security benefits be received on a prepaid debit card?

Yes, Social Security benefits can be received on a prepaid debit card. The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers two prepaid debit card options: the Direct Express card and the Comerica MasterCard.

The Direct Express card is a prepaid debit card that is offered exclusively to federal benefit recipients, including Social Security recipients. It can be used to receive Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, and can be used to make purchases, pay bills, and withdraw cash from ATMs. Cardholders can receive one free withdrawal per month at participating ATMs, and additional withdrawals may be subject to fees.

The Comerica MasterCard is also a prepaid debit card that is offered to Social Security and SSI recipients who do not have a bank account. It can be used to receive Social Security and SSI payments, as well as for purchases, bill payments, and cash withdrawals. The card also comes with some additional benefits, such as free ATM withdrawals at Comerica Bank ATMs and access to Comerica Bank’s financial education program.

It’s worth noting that Social Security beneficiaries can also choose to have their benefits directly deposited into their bank account, or receive a paper check in the mail. The choice of payment method is up to the beneficiary, and they can switch between payment methods at any time by contacting the Social Security Administration.

You can use the Direct Express® prepaid debit card to get Social Security, SSI, and other federal benefit payments deposited directly into your account. You will be able to access money at automated teller machines (ATMs) and financial institutions nationwide, get cash back, make purchases, and pay bills.If you choose Direct Express®, we will deposit payments into your Direct Express® card account on your designated payment date.
The Direct Express® card uses a personal information number (PIN), and your money is insured and protected by the FederalDeposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). It also is subject to federal consumer protection regulations (Regulation E). The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Financial Management Service (FMS) uses Comerica Bank for Direct Express®.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *