What do u need to get a social security card

Q) Due to the number of times our family has moved within the past three years, I have misplaced my son’s social security card. What documents will I need to apply for another one? Do I need to apply in person for my son? We reside in Buford GA., but he was born in Pennsylvania.

A) To get a Social Security card, you will need to provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) with documentation that proves your identity and U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status. Here are the documents you will typically need:

  1. Proof of identity: You must provide one or more documents that prove your identity. The document(s) must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (such as your date of birth or age), and preferably a recent photograph. Examples of acceptable documents include a U.S. driver’s license, a U.S. passport, or a state-issued identification card.
  2. Proof of citizenship or immigration status: You must provide one or more documents that prove your U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status. Examples of acceptable documents include a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. passport, or an immigration document such as a permanent resident card or work permit.
  3. Application form: You must fill out an application for a Social Security card, which you can obtain from the SSA’s website or in person at a local SSA office.

It’s important to note that the specific documents required may vary depending on your individual circumstances, such as if you are a non-citizen or if you have recently changed your name. You should contact the SSA or visit their website for more information on what documents you need to provide to get a Social Security card.

According to Social Security Administration; You can replace your card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in noncitizen status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

To get a replacement card, you will need to:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5);
Present an unexpired original document with identifying information and preferably a recent photograph that proves your identity;
Show evidence of your U.S. citizenship if you were born outside the United States and did not show proof of citizenship when you got your card; and
Show evidence of your current lawful noncitizen status if you are not a U.S. citizen.
Your replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card. read more

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *