Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

Filing Social Security Application

1500.1 Why do you need to file a Social Security application for benefits?
You must file an application to:
Become entitled to benefits, including Medicare;
Establish a period of disability under the retirement, survivors, and disability insurance programs; or
Become eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.

1500.2 How do you apply for Social Securitybenefits?
Fill out the application on a form issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). (See §1511.) File the completed and signed application form via the internet at, at a Social Security office, or with a person authorized by us to receive applications. If you need an interpreter to communicate with us, we will provide one upon request, free of charge. SSA has a nationwide contract for telephone interpreter services in more than 150 languages and dialects. Based on SSA’s signature alternatives to the traditional pen-and-ink signature, for teleclaims and in-person Title II (Retirement and Disability), Title XVI (Supplemental Security Income), and Title XVIII (Medicare) claims, the application is signed once the SSA interviewer confirms and annotates the system electronically of the claimant’s intent to file, his or her affirmation of the correctness of the information that is provided under penalty of perjury, and agreement to sign the application. (See §§1505-1506 and 1511-1512.) When the signature is recorded electronically, it is no longer necessary for SSA to retain the paper application. Also, some applications for Social Security benefits are available to you on our Internet website; therefore, you can apply for some Social Security benefits online. For claims that are filed on the Internet website the application is signed when you press the “Sign Now” button.

1500.3 Do you have to file a Social Security application for hospital and medical insurance if you are 65 or older?
If you are age 65 or older and entitled to monthly benefits under Social Security or railroad retirement, you are automatically entitled to hospital insurance and medical insurance. You do not need to file a separate application for these benefits. If you are eligible for monthly benefits and are age 65 or older, you may apply for hospital insurance (Medicare Part A) and medical insurance (Medicare Part B) without applying for monthly benefits.
If you are age 65 or older and not entitled to monthly benefits under Social Security or railroad retirement, you need to file an application for hospital and medical insurance. You must be willing to pay the monthly premiums involved. (See Chapter 24.)

1500.4 Where can you find additional information about hospital and medical insurance benefits, the prescription drug benefit and extra help with prescription drug costs?
Chapter 24 includes information concerning entitlement to hospital and medical insurance (Medicare) for persons entitled to disability benefits and persons with end-stage renal disease requiring renal dialysis or kidney transplant. It also includes information about the prescription drug benefit. Chapter 26 includes information about extra help with prescription drug costs.
Last Revised: Apr. 12, 2010


4 Responses to Filing Social Security Application

  1. According to Social Security Administration; You can replace your card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in noncitizen status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

    To get a replacement card, you will need to:

    Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5);
    Present an unexpired original document with identifying information and preferably a recent photograph that proves your identity;
    Show evidence of your U.S. citizenship if you were born outside the United States and did not show proof of citizenship when you got your card; and Show evidence of your current lawful noncitizen status if you are not a U.S. citizen.
    Your replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card.

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

I received my direct payment, amount has changed being less by $40.92 WHY?

Q) I received my direct payment for February 2014 and the amount has changed being less by $40.92 WHY????? A) Please contact your local Social Security office regarding your benefit reduction. You can call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). By calling 1-800-772-1213, you can use SSA automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some… Continue Reading

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming