Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

Grandmas social security less grandfathers and is worried that when he passes

Q) Hi. I’m asking a question for my grandmother. My grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer and has less than a year expected. Both of them are on Social Security as well as still working part time. My grandmas social security is less than my grandfathers and is worried that when he passes she will have to live on her very meager social security alone. Is that the case or when a spouse passes do the living spouse receive any of their benefit? Please clarify how that works so we can ease her mind. Thank you!

A) According to social security administration: When you die, members of your family could be eligible for benefits based on your earnings. You and your children also may be able to get benefits if your deceased spouse or former spouse worked long enough under Social Security.

Who can get survivors benefits?

Widows and Widowers
A widow or widower can receive benefits

at age 60 or older.
at age 50 or older if disabled.
at any age if she or he takes care of a child of the deceased who is younger than age 16 or disabled.

Leave a reply

I have continued to work after drawing full retirement, benefit has not increased.

Q) I have continued to work after drawing full retirement, and have been paying into the system. My benefit has not increased. Why? A) According to the Social Security Administration website; You can work while you receive Social Security retirement (or survivors) benefits. When you do, it could mean a higher benefit for you in the future.… Continue Reading

One Response to I have continued to work after drawing full retirement, benefit has not increased.

  1. I have a son, age 19, diagnosed with Autism at a young age. He has a caseworker through the Department of Human Services which has provided him with Medical Assistance health coverage. I was told by his case manager that now that he is 19 years old that he had to apply for Social Security. The case manager told me he will be denied, but that it was required of him to apply. I am trying to find out what form to file out in order for him to apply for Social Security benefits. Can someone please send me a link or directions on what form I need to fill out.

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming