Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

How do we get a social security card for our adopted son?

Q) We have a son who we recently adopted in the united states through the orange county foster care. How do we get a social security card for him? What documentation do you need? We were told that since he was in the foster care system it will take around 6 months to get his bith certificate. I have his adoption order and adoption agreement from court… is that sufficient?

A) According To the Social Security Administration: In order to get a Social Security number for my U.S. born adopted child?

You must:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your child‘s:

Step 2: Gather documents proving your:

Step 3: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.

Step 4: Take or mail the completed application and documents to your local SocialSecurity office or your local Social Security Card Center.

You must submit at least two acceptable documents to prove your child‘s age, identity and citizenship. However, we may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use the child‘s U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity or we may use yourchild‘s U.S. birth certificate as proof of both age and citizenship.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. We will return any documents you mail to us, along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail the card as soon as we verify your documents. You should receive the cardwithin 10 business days from the date on the receipt.

We do not assign new numbers for adopted children who:

  •  Know they are adopted;
  •  Receive Social Security benefits or Supplemental Security Income payments;
  •  Have worked; or
  • Are adopted by a step-parent or other relative.

In these situations, we update the child‘s record with the new identifying information. We then issue a corrected card with the new name and the same number.

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

5 Responses to I am currently in an appeal for my disability, showing earnings I did not have

  1. According to the Social Security Administration – You can continue working and start receiving your retirement benefits. … You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time before your full retirement age. However your benefits will be reduced if you earn more than the yearly earnings limits. After you reach your full retirement age, SSA will recalculate your benefit amount to give you credit for any months you did not receive a benefit because of your earnings. They will send you a letter that explains any increase in your benefit amount.

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming