I want to change my SS card to a change of address and have my full name on it.

Q) I want to change my SS card to a change of address and have my full name on it. I haven’t changed the card since high school nearly 50 years ago and nobody’s questioned it. But I now need proof of my full name and address to renew my driver’s license since my birth certificate can’t be found. What documents do I need to show SS when I come in to change the card (also my medicare card as well)?

A) According to the Social Security Administration: If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

To get a corrected Social Security card, you will need to:

Show the required documents. You will need proof of your identity. Sometimes you also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status. See Learn What Documents You Need for more information. Under the heading, “Type of Card,” select “Corrected” for a list of the documents you need;
Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office. https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3749/how-do-i-change-or-correct-my-name-on-my-social-security-number-card

One Comment

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *