Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

If I delay my benefits till age 70 will my benefit still be greater?

Q) My spouse is getting his Social Security. I have not applied for benefits (except Medicare) but I am at full retirement age (66). Can I apply/get spousal benefits if my social security benefit would be greater than his and suspend my payments until age 70? Or does that apply only if my benefits would be less than his? If I delay my benefits till age 70 and am already not working, will my benefit still be greater at age 70? Thank you.

A) Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you as a spouse may be able to get benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and you are receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits.

You can start your Social Security retirement benefits as early as age 62 or as late as age 70. Your monthly benefit amount will be different depending on the age you start receiving it. Delayed retirement credits may increase your benefits.


2 Responses to If I delay my benefits till age 70 will my benefit still be greater?

  1. According to Social Security Administration, in order Apply For Spouse’s Or Divorced Spouse’s Benefits

    You can apply:

    Online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, or
    By calling our national toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.
    You can help by being ready to:

    Provide any needed documents; and
    Answer the questions listed below.
    Documents you may need to provide

    We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

    Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
    Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
    U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
    W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.
    Final divorce decree, if applying as a divorced spouse; and
    Marriage certificate.

    We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)

    Do not delay applying for benefits because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming