It is my intent to work until age 70, Do I need to file and suspend before May 1, 2016,

Q) My wife’s birthdate is 11/27/50, she is 65;my birthdate is 4/17/1948, I am 67 years old; neither of us have turned on our Social Security. It is my intent to work until age 70 before I turn on my Social Security. It is my wife’s intent to turn her Social Security on at her FRA, age 66. Do I need to file and suspend before May 1, 2016, to be eligible so that she can claim 50% of my Social Security? Do I need to take any action to make her eligible to draw off my Social Security? Can I draw off her Social Security while she is drawing off my Social Security?

A) According to Social Security Administration: You can apply for Social Security retirement benefits when you are at least 61 years and 9 months of age. You should apply three months before you want your benefits to start. Even if you are not ready to retire, you still should sign up for Medicare three months before your 65th birthday. When you’re ready to apply for retirement benefits, use our online retirement application, the quickest, easiest, and most convenient way to apply.

If you are eligible for both your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit. If you choose to begin receiving spouse’s benefits before you reach full retirement age, your benefit amount will be reduced and will not be increased when you reach full retirement age.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *