My daughter is deceased. Can I get benefits for her children?

Q) My daughter is deceased and I have legal custody of the children. One is 11years old and the other is 18 years old and she is still in school. Can I get benefits for the children, and how do I do this. thank you

A) Yes. According to Social Security administration: Your child can get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild. (In some cases, your child alsocould be eligible for benefits on his or her grandparents’ earnings.)
To get benefits, a child must have:
• A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or
• A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.
The child also must be:
• Unmarried;
• Younger than age 18;
• 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no
higher than grade 12); or
• 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must
have started before age 22.)

Click to access EN-05-10085.pdf

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *