I need to know how to go about filing single now that I am divorced.

Q) I am already on ssi but my wife had all the income, which brought my ssi check amount down very low. We are now going through a divorce,and have already filed. I need to know how to go about filing single now that I don’t have her income to pay bills with,and have no job or income of my own coming in.

A) According to Social Security Administration – If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

You are unmarried;
You are age 62 or older;
Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s work.

Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse’s full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *