How do I request to withhold taxes from my social security check?

A) To request to withhold taxes from your Social Security check, you will need to complete and submit a Form W-4V (Voluntary Withholding Request) to the Social Security Administration (SSA). Here are the steps you can follow:

  1. Obtain a Form W-4V: You can download the form from the IRS website or request a paper copy by calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or by visiting your local SSA office.
  2. Complete the form: Fill out the form with your personal information, including your name, Social Security number, and the amount of federal income tax you want to have withheld from your benefits.
  3. Sign and date the form: Sign and date the completed form.
  4. Submit the form: Mail the completed and signed form to the address below:

Social Security Administration P.O. Box 397 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18767-0397

Once the SSA processes your request, they will begin withholding taxes from your Social Security benefits. It’s important to note that you can change or stop your withholding request at any time by completing a new Form W-4V and submitting it to the SSA.

According to Social Security administration you are not required to have federal taxes withheld from your benefits. However, you may find voluntary tax withholding easier than paying quarterly estimated tax payments. To begin federal tax withholding or to change your current withholding amount, follow these steps:

Step 1: Print and complete IRS Form W-4V to indicate what percentage (7,10,12 or 22) of your monthly benefit amount you want withheld.

Step 2: Sign and return the form to your local Social Security office by mail or in person.

For more information about Form W-4V contact the Internal Revenue Service online or by phone at 1-800-829-1040. You may also obtain the form by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *