What documents do I need for Social Security Office to get her address changed?

Q) My mother is in a care center, due to a stroke. Her home has been sold. I don’t need to change where her payments go, but her mailing address needs to be changed to my address. She is unable to leave the care center and her speech is difficult. I have Power of Attorney. What documents do I need to bring to get her address changed?

A) According to Social Security website – You can view or update your contact information (e.g. change your address) of record via the My Profile Tab on my Social Security. In addition, you can decide when your change of address will take effect.

Who can update their address information online?

People receiving Social Security (Retirement, Survivors and Disability) benefits and those enrolled in Medicare can use my Social Security to change their address and other contact information.

This service is not currently available to people who also receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or do not have a U.S. mailing address. However, if you are receiving SSI, you can still check your address we have on record via the My Profile Tab on my Social Security.

Remember you can always call or visit your local Social Security office for more information.

If you cannot go online or if you are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, you should contact SSA at 1-800-772-1213 (1-800-325-0778 if you are deaf or hard-of-hearing).

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *