Do I need to let Social Security Administration know when I start work

Q) Do I need to let SSA know when I start work or only after my pay is over the limits. Or do I need to report monthly wages to you.

A) Yes, you should let the Social Security Administration know when you start working. If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and you begin working, you must report the work to the SSA. Failure to report your work activity could result in overpayment of benefits and a potential loss of benefits in the future. You can report your work activity to the SSA by calling their toll-free number, visiting a local SSA office, or reporting online through the “my Social Security” portal on the SSA website.

Each month you have to mail you pay stub to your local Social Security office. Contact your local Social Security office in setting up this account.

Do I have to report my earnings to Social Security?

Yes. If you work and get SSI, then you must report your earnings. If you have a representative payee, then your representative payee must report your earnings.

What specific earnings information do I have to report?

You need to report the following:

  • monthly gross wages (that is the amount before taxes or other deductions are subtracted);
  • if you start or stop working; increases or decreases in your wages or self–employment income;
  • if you start or stop a second or third job; work expenses related to your disability; and
  • if you are blind, any work expenses.

What earnings information does Social Security need to see?

SSA need to see:

  • every pay stub, including pay stubs for overtime, vacations, and bonuses;
  • if self–employed, copies of your Federal Income Tax Forms Schedule SE, Schedule C, Schedule C–EZ, or Schedule F;
  • receipts for work expenses related to your disability;
  • if you are blind, receipts for any work expense; and
  • receipts for expenses paid to reach your Plan to Achieve Self–Support(PASS) employment goal.

NOTE SSA will give you a “Your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Folder” to help you keep records that we need to see (for example pay stubs).

DISCLAIMER: This site is NOT affiliated with any government sites or agencies, this site is for informational purposes only. If you have questions or issues about Social Security it’s always best you contact your Local Social Security office. We are not social security employees, officers or agents.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *