I never received my son social security card. Do I need to apply for a replacement card for him?

Q) I never received my son social security card. He is 1 year old now. Do I need to apply for a replacement card for him in case it was lost or stolen?

A) Yes, if you never received your son’s Social Security card, it’s recommended to apply for a replacement card as soon as possible.

You can apply for a replacement card for your son by completing the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) and providing the required documents. You’ll need to provide proof of your son’s identity and citizenship or immigration status, as well as your own identity as the parent or guardian.

You can submit the application and documents in person at a Social Security Administration (SSA) office or by mail. If you choose to submit the application by mail, you should send it to your local SSA office along with the required documents. The address for your local SSA office can be found on the SSA website.

It’s important to keep in mind that Social Security cards are important documents and should be kept in a safe and secure place. If you ever lose or misplace your son’s Social Security card in the future, you can apply for another replacement card. However, it’s best to try to avoid losing the card by keeping it in a safe place and only using it when necessary.

According to the social security administration – You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the states listed.

If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to show the required documents. We need to see different documents depending on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting. See Learn What Documents You Need to find out what documents you will have to show. Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office. https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3755/How-do-I-apply-for-a-new-or-replacement-Social-Security-number-card

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *