Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

I want to go back to my maiden name after being divorced for 27 years

Q) Hello, I want to go back to my maiden name after being divorced for 27 years. I have my divorce decree Nisi (from Massachusetts), birth certificate (Massachusetts), Social Security card.

I always believed I had to do this via probate court. However, when I called my town (North Kingstown) they told me a woman can change her name to her maiden at any time at the social security office and then at the DMV without going to court or advertising the name change publically.

I just read on the website that the wait is long at your office and I work full time. Therefore, I need to know if I can do this at your location or not. The info on your website states one of the documents I may need is a court order. Now I am confused. I need to know before I go to your office as I don’t won’t to wait only to be turned away and sent to the probate court in my town.

Can you advise? I thank you!

Donna M. B******

A) According to Social Security administration, to change your name on your Social Security card:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

Legal name change;

Marriage document;
Divorce decree;
Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name; or
Court-ordered name change.
Identity; and
U.S. citizenship (if you have not established your citizenship with us) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States.
Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

If you are working can you still collect disability

Q) If you are working can you still collect disability A) “Social Security has special rules called work incentives that allow you to test your ability to work and still receive monthly Social Security disability benefits.” According to Social Security Administration – Social Security pays benefits to people who cannot work because they have a medical condition that… Continue Reading

One Response to If you are working can you still collect disability

  1. I would like to make an appointment to visit your 29 Davenport St Somerville location to get earnings report and to apply for Retirement. I tried online but it will not accept my personal information. I’ve tried many times to connect over the phone with the 1800-772-1213 but it continually disconnects me. Can I visit without an appointment?

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming