If I need to change my birth date, how do I do that at a social security office? Should I set up an appointment?

A) To change your birth date at a Social Security office, you will need to:

  1. Fill out an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5). You can find this form on the Social Security Administration website (https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf).
  2. Bring the completed form to a Social Security office along with:
    • Unexpired identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.
    • Proof of your correct birth date, such as a birth certificate. Documents must be original or have a signature, stamp, or raised seal from the issuing agency. We don’t accept photocopies.

You can set up an appointment at a Social Security office by calling 1-800-772-1213. However, walk-ins are also welcome.

Here are the steps on how to change your birth date at a Social Security office:

  1. Go to the Social Security office and bring the required documents.
  2. Check in with the receptionist and tell them that you need to change your birth date.
  3. The receptionist will give you a ticket with a number.
  4. When your number is called, go to the window and give the documents to the Social Security representative.
  5. The Social Security representative will review your documents and ask you some questions.
  6. If the Social Security representative approves your request, they will update your record and issue you a new Social Security card.

The process of changing your birth date at a Social Security office can take a few weeks. You will receive your new Social Security card in the mail.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind when changing your birth date at a Social Security office:

  • You must be able to prove that your correct birth date is different from the one on your Social Security record.
  • You may need to provide additional documentation, such as a court order, if the Social Security Administration is not satisfied with the proof you provide.
  • Changing your birth date can affect your eligibility for certain benefits, such as Social Security retirement benefits. You should contact the Social Security Administration to find out how changing your birth date will affect your benefits.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *