Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

Nearing Social Security Retirement Age

1503.1 Why should you contact Social Security Administration before you turn age 62?
If you are a worker who is considering early retirement, you should get in touch with a Social Security office several months before turning 62 because age 62 is the earliest month possible for benefits to begin. We will give you the information you need so you can decide whether or not to file an application for reduced retirement benefits at that time.

1503.2 When should you contact social security administration if you do not file an application for reduced retirement benefits at 62?
If you do not file an application for reduced social security retirement benefits at age 62, you should contact us again:
Up to 4 months before you plan to retire;
As soon as you know that you will neither earn more than the monthly exempt amount (see §1807.5) in wages nor render substantial services in self-employment in one or more months of the year, regardless of expected total annual earnings (see Chapter 18 for the earnings test); or
Up to 4 months before you reach Full Retirement Age (FRA), even if you are still working.
Last Revised: Sep. 1, 2009

2 Responses to Nearing Social Security Retirement Age

  1. According to SSA Website, Social Security benefits are based on earnings averaged over most of a worker’s lifetime. The benefit computation is complex and there is no simple method or table to tell you how much you may receive. However, there are several ways you can estimate your retirement benefits.

    You can:

    1. Use SSA Retirement Estimator for an estimate based on your actual Social Security earnings record; or
    2. Use our Online Calculator to enter your own data.
    Remember, these are only estimated. For more detailed information, read Your Retirement Benefit: How It Is Figured.

Leave a reply

Tell us Your Experience at your Local Social Security Office in the comments section above.

Your experience will be shared on

7 Responses to I am disabled, received benefits when my father died, My mother died……….

  1. Good morning to you all,
    I am writing to you all about my Father in laws, Social Security payment. His full name is SOU YAO,. His question is why is his SS payment is 160.00 less than previous month? Would you be able to help us to explain why this happened?
    You can reach me at my email, below?
    My name is Todd Sato and his daughter is Lisa Odette Yao Sato. Thank you so very much.

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming