What documents do I need to file for benefit from an ex-spouses social security?

Q) What documents do I need to file to collect social security benefit from an ex-spouses social security?

A) To file for Social Security benefits based on your ex-spouse’s work record, you will need to provide the following information and documents:

  1. Your ex-spouse’s full name and Social Security number.
  2. Your own full name and Social Security number.
  3. Your marriage certificate or divorce decree.
  4. Your birth certificate or other proof of birthdate.
  5. Proof of your ex-spouse’s eligibility for Social Security retirement or disability benefits, such as their work history and earnings record.
  6. If you are applying for benefits as a divorced spouse, you must have been married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years and be at least 62 years old.

You can apply for benefits online or by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) by phone at 1-800-772-1213. The SSA may also ask for additional documents or information during the application process.

If you have any questions or concerns about the application process or your eligibility for benefits, it is recommended to speak with a Social Security representative or a qualified attorney.

According to Social Security Administration You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

You can help by being ready to:

Provide any needed documents; and
Answer the questions listed below.
Documents You may need to provide

SSA may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

Proof of the worker’s death;
Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
U.S. military discharge paper(s)
For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
Marriage certificate


One Comment

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *