Find your local Social Security office. Not a government website

I am permanently disabled can I apply online for a supplement of social security

Q) I am interested in getting a supplement of social security as I am permanently disabled can I apply online or on the phone & how long does this take thank you Cindy C.

A) According to Social Security Administration: To apply for adult disability SSI payments:

  • Start the Disability process at our Apply Online for Disability Benefits page. Although this is not a SSI application, we can use most of the information you provide to start the disability process. Once you finish the online process, a Social Security representative will contact you for any additional information needed for the SSI application; or
  • Schedule an appointment with your local office to complete the application process.

 To apply for child disability SSI payments:

  • Schedule an appointment with your local office to complete the application process.

To schedule an appointment with your local office, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

How The Disability Application Process Works
Last reviewed or modified Thursday Apr 25, 2013
We will review your application to make sure you meet some basic requirements for disability benefits and evaluate any current work activities. If you meet these requirements, we will send your application to the Disability Determination Services office in your state.

This state agency completes the disability decision for us. Doctors and disability specialists in the state agency ask your doctors for information about your condition. They will consider all the facts in your case. They will use the medical evidence from your doctors and hospitals, clinics or institutions where you have been treated and all other information. They will ask your doctors:

What your medical condition is;
When your medical condition began;
How your medical condition limits your activities;
What the medical tests have shown; and
What treatment you have received.
They also will ask the doctors for information about your ability to do work-related activities, such as walking, sitting, lifting, carrying and remembering instructions. Your doctors are not asked to decide if you are disabled.

The state agency staff may need more medical information before they can decide if you are disabled. If more information is not available from your current medical sources, the state agency may ask you to go for a special examination. We prefer to ask your own doctor, but sometimes the exam may have to be done by someone else. Social Security will pay for the exam and for some of the related travel costs.

Leave a reply

4 Responses to I have been on permanent disability since i was 48 years old, now….

  1. can you stay working at the same job and still collect your social security???

Leave a reply

State Social Security Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming