Social Security office Schenectady NY
SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE
ONE BROADWAY CENTER
SCHENECTADY, NY 12305
Hours: Monday to Friday
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
|Services: Get Help With|
Social Security Card
Social Security Retirement
Access Medicare Services
Access Medicaid Services
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Supplemental Security Income
And much more
Schenectady NY Social Security field office works with the Social Security Administration to assign Social Security numbers to U.S. Citizens. They also assist in maintaining earnings records under workers Social Security numbers and administrates Supplemental Security Income program for the aged, blind and disabled. You can visit your local SS office and apply for your monthly retirement, survivor or disability cash benefits for which you qualify.
What should I do before visiting my local Social Security Office?
It’s always best to call and set an appointment with your local Social Security office before visiting. To make an appointment you need to:
- Call Social Security at 800.772.1213.
- Tell the automated system that you need an office appointment.
- Speak to a Social Security worker over the phone to request your office appointment.
What if I just do a walk in at a local Social Security Office?
If you do a walk in without an appointment you may encounter long delays and wait time. Without an appointment, SSA officials said you should expect long lines, especially during the busiest times in local offices; typically, on Mondays, the morning after a federal holiday or the first week of the month.
What documents should I bring with me at my local Social Security office appointment?
Depending on what services you may need such as replacement of your Social Security card, Medicare or Medicaid Services – you may need to have certain documents on hand, such as your:
- Social Security number
- Your passport
- Birth certificate
- Proof of United States citizenship or legal US residency
- Your Social Security Card
- Proof of address
- Bank statements and/or proof of income
- Proof of household inhabitants
- Marriage or divorce records
- U.S. military service papers
- A copy of W-2 forms and/or self-employment tax return for the previous year
If I can’t visit my local Social Security Office because of illness or mobility issues, what do I do?
Many Social Security services are available to you by calling the automated telephone services toll-free at 1‑800‑772‑1213. You can get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day.
If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call their TTY number at 1‑800‑325‑0778.
What social security services are available to me online if I can’t visit my local office?
Most Social Security services are also available online with your “My Social Security account“. You can find services such as:
- Social Security Card replacement
- Request a new Medicare Card
- Apply for Retirement Benefits
- Apply for Disability Benefits
- Apply for Medicare Benefits
- Appeal a SSA Decision
- Change Your Address
- Set Up or Change Direct Deposit
- Print Proof of Benefits
- Print Your 1099
- View Your Latest Statement
- Review Your Earnings History
- Check Application Status
How do I contact the Social Security Administration if I have questions?
TTY number, 1‑800‑325‑0778
Schenectady NY Social Security Office Tips:
- Show Up Early: Most Social Security offices can sometimes be crowded. You must understand every person needs to provide Social Security number when required by a business or government entity. So, a lot of people may be at the Social Security office with questions or concerns related to their Social Security number or benefits.
- Be prepared to wait: With lots of people at your local Social Security office, if you are late you may have to wait a while. The best way to avoid the long lines at the social security office is to get to the office early.
- Be prepared with your Documents: If you are applying for your Social Security Card or any other Social Security benefits, be sure to take with you all your required documents.
- Bring a snack: With the often-long wait, you may get hungry. If you do, you can snack while you wait in the Social Security office. You don’t want to miss your number being called because you went out to buy a snack.
- Keep a Cool Head: With lots of people at the Social Security office waiting to be seen it’s easy to get frustrated and lose you cool. Remember that the social security office counselors are there to assist you. Keeping a cool head and being courteous will help speed the process along. Above all, enjoy the day. You may meet a friend while you wait.
Locate another Social Security Office near Schenectady NY
Find more New York Social Security Office Locations near Schenectady NY
I’m sorry to hear that you have been having difficulty getting through to the Social Security office in Schenectady, NY. Unfortunately some Social Security offices have reduced their hours or are operating at limited capacity, which may be contributing to the long wait times and difficulty in getting through to someone.
One suggestion would be to try calling the Social Security Administration’s national toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. They may be able to assist you with your questions or concerns and provide information about your local office. Alternatively, you can also try contacting your local office through the Social Security Administration’s online portal, My Social Security, at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/.
If you do need to visit the office in person, you may want to consider scheduling an appointment in advance, if possible, to minimize your wait time. Additionally, you can check the office’s hours of operation and any COVID-19-related guidelines or restrictions on the Social Security Administration’s website at https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/.