Q) What documents do I need to apply for social security?
A) Documents needed to apply for Social Security:
- your Social Security card (or a record of your number);
- your original birth certificate or other proof of birth (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency);
- proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the U.S. [More Info];
- a copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; and
- a copy of your W-2 form(s) and/or self-employment tax return for last year.