What documents do I need to apply for social security?
September 26, 2017
Q) What documents do I need to apply for social security?
A) Documents needed to apply for Social Security:
- your Social Security card (or a record of your number);
- your original birth certificate or other proof of birth (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency);
- proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the U.S. [More Info];
- a copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; and
- a copy of your W-2 form(s) and/or self-employment tax return for last year.
Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Social Security Office
If I start to draw my social security, may I still continue to work?
Withdrawing Your Social Security Application
About The Author
Our job is to answer your questions and provide information that will guide you through the process of getting your Social Security Benefits.